My Patient’s Motivated! … Now what?
Once a patient is ready to make lifestyle changes, it is important to switch gears from talking about Pro’s and Con’s and into Action-Planning mode.
- This involves laying out the who, what, when, where and how of the plan.
- When the patient thinks through and discusses all of the details potential road blocks will come up and solutions can be discussed.
- The important point is that the plan is achievable and the patient rates their confidence at at least a 7.
- If their confidence is lower, the plan needs to be adjusted to a more modest plan… we want to build some confidence here!
- Remember that although you may be an expert in medicine, the patient is the expert in their own lives. Ask them to what they think will work for them!
- Refer to the handouts section of this website for printable materials to help
- Make a note of their plan in the chart, and follow up to see how it went
Although you may be an expert in medicine, the patient is the expert in his or her own life