Example Video #1: Pro’s and Con’s
Now that you’ve had an introduction to basic Motivational Interviewing concepts, see them in action! Check out this example of a Pre-Contemplative patient talking with her physician. Notice this physician’s frequent use of OARS techniques.
- This patient shows some resistance to the physician’s initial statement about her weight effecting her knee pain.
- The physician “rolls with resistance” by asking the patient the “pro’s” of the way she eats.
- Then the physician asks about the cons.
- Notice the doctor does not call these “cons”, but rather, calls them “less good”
- At the end of each statement, the physician follows up with a reflective statement.
- Finally, the physician does not fail to address the patient’s immediate, primary concern, and directs the conversation back to dealing with the current knee pain.